Sunday, June 30, 2013

Course Reflection



As I reflect back on this course I cannot help but to think “Wow, I can’t believe eight weeks has already passed.”  A lot of information has been covered during this course, bolstering my understanding of learning theories and my own learning process.  I now realize that my original views on my personal learning preferences have been reinforced.  I am a multifaceted learner.  A learning style that benefits me in one situation may be detrimental in the next.  One new realization that this course taught me is that online learning is not my cup of tea.  To maximize my learning potential I need to be in a traditional classroom.  I learn better when I have physical interaction with my peers and am able to get immediate verbal feedback from my instructor. 
            It is surprising that this whole course is focused on using motivation and differentiation to engage students yet there is little variety in presentation of information.  Every week just about follows the same structure, creating redundancy which can lessen motivation.  Typically there is a short video followed by online and textbook readings then group discussions.  In addition, students are only assessed on what they have learned through writing assignments.  For me this is an issue because I am a better at other types of assessments like tests, public speaking, and creative projects.  If a student is going to succeed in this course they must be able to fully express themselves through writing.  This creates a huge disadvantage for learners with other preferences.  I understand that there are limitations with online classes, but more effort needs to be placed into differentiating both instruction and assessments, so that all types of learners can succeed.  
              Learning theories, learning styles, educational technology, and motivation all contribute to achieving one common purpose – to engage the learner.  Although these factors are interconnected they also stand alone in importance.  They are connected not like a mind map, but like a stone archway.  If one factor is removed then it weakens the entire learning system.  This course has taught me that the importance of these factors is not unique to young learners.  Adult learners need variety as well.  Even though adult learners typically choose to what to learn, they should also be able to choose how to learn.  Variation is needed to capture the attention of adult learners and motivate them to succeed. 
This course taught me that as an instructional designer I will always have to keep the learner in mind when creating lessons.  Now that I have an understanding of learning theories ad learning styles I know how to approach obstacles in both traditional and online classrooms.  The use of technology and other tools will be heavily relied upon to maximize the learning potential of my students.   

No comments:

Post a Comment