Sunday, June 23, 2013

Fitting the Pieces Together



The learning theories that have been introduced over the past few weeks have made me reflect on how I learn.  Every week I examine the newest theory hoping it best explains how I learn, but none of them can truly answer for all of the learning possibilities.  Each theory has its pros and cons, making it beneficial in various contexts.  In addition, the Learning Theory Matrix has shown that there is a lot of overlap among the theories as well.  With this overlap, one cannot defend a single theory as being a panacea.  I will have to maintain my stance from week one that my own learning preferences will vary depending on what I have to learn.    
Out of all the theories though, the one that gained my attention the most is connectivism.  I never knew that there was a theory which explored the relationship of technology and learning.  The mind map shows that technology plays an integral role in how I learn.  The majority of the information that I acquire comes from electronic sources and electronic sources are used to interpret that information.  This course is a prime example because only a small portion of information is gathered from a traditional textbook and all of my work is submitted and constructed online (minus the mind map).  The most fascinating part of connectivism is that memory storage on machines is becoming more important than memory storage in the brain.  Who would ever believe that our brain would ever lose importance?  It truly makes me think what effect technology may have on human evolution.  Will we get to the point where we only have to remember enough information to survive?  Will brain size shrink over time because we will need less room for storage?  Possibly, technology could have the opposite effect.  Maybe there will be a large knowledge disparity between those who are dependent on technology and those who are not. Maybe in this future we will have one theory to explain all of learning.  Whatever the case, I sure hope I’m not around to see what happens if technology ever falls apart.   

No comments:

Post a Comment